If a tooth has been broken or damaged by decay, Dr. Danny Soares in Oakville will try to fix it with a filling, crown or other dental treatment. But when there’s too much damage for the tooth to be repaired, the tooth may need to be extracted or removed from its socket in the bone.
Here are other reasons why you may need a tooth extraction:
- Some patients have extra teeth that block other teeth from coming in.
- Sometimes baby teeth don’t fall out in time to allow the permanent teeth to come in.
- Patients getting braces may need teeth extracted to create room for the teeth that are being moved into place.
- Patients receiving radiation to the head and neck may need to have teeth in the field of radiation extracted.
- Patients receiving cancer drugs may develop infected teeth because these drugs weaken the immune system. Infected teeth may need to be extracted.
Wisdom teeth, also called third molars, are often extracted either before or after they come in. They commonly come in during the late teens or early 20s. They need to be removed if they are decayed, cause pain or have a cyst or infection. These teeth often get stuck in the jaw (impacted) and do not come in. This can irritate the gum, causing pain and swelling. If you need all four wisdom teeth removed, they are usually taken out at the same time. Ask Oakville dentist, Dr. Danny Soares what is the best treatment option for you. Book a consultation today: 905-469-9792.